Applying to non-military service
Applying to non-military service
- Non-military service period is 347 days.
- Non-military service always begins with a four-week training period.
- After the training period, non-military service continues with work service.
- The training period must be completed before you can start your work service.
You can apply to non-military service:
- when your conviction or compelling reasons prevent you from performing conscript service.
- in call-up.
- after call-up.
- after completing more than 45 days of voluntary conscript service for women.
- Your application must be done no later than the year in which you reach the age of 30.
How to apply:
- Application form is in Omasivari.
- If you can’t use Finnish electronic identification you can print out an enlistment application here.
- Complete, print, and sign the application
- Submit it to call-up board if you are applying to non-military service in call-up, or
- to regional office if you have already been in call-up and you have not yet started service, or
- to the platoon commander if you are at conscript service or
- to the Finnish embassy or consulate if you live abroad.
The process of your application:
- We will not be able to process your information until you have been in the call-up.
- Your regional office will process your application and decide on your non-military service obligations. This can take a few weeks.
- The decision of your transfer will be sent to you and to Non-military Service Centre.
- Your information will be transferred to non-military service register.
- Once you have been accepted into non-military service, you can select the appropriate training period through Omasivari.
- If necessary, you can request a deferral.
- The obligation to perform non-military service is valid until the end of the year in which you reach age of 30.
- Once you have completed non-military service, you will be in the reserve until the end of the year in which you turn 50.
From conscription to non-military service:
- If you apply to non-military service while you are still in military service, you will be discharged immediately.
- Your application is submitted from the garrison to the regional office for processing.
- Your service information will be provided to Non-military Service Centre once regional office has decided on your non-military service obligation.
- In some cases, it may take several weeks for the information to be transferred to Non-military Service Centre.
- You can log in to Omasivari when your information can be found in non-military service register.
- You log in to Omasivari with your own online banking ID.
- You can make a training batch request in Omasivari if you have been placed in serviceability class A or B.
- If you are in E or C serviceability class, you cannot make a batch request until you have submitted a medical statement about your serviceability to Non-military Service Centre.
- Military service which you have completed before you are transferred into non-military service will be credited using multipliers.
- If the duration of the military service was set at 165 days, the multiplier is 2.10
- If the duration of the military service was set at 255 days, the multiplier is 1.36
- If the duration of the military service was set at 347 days, which is the same as duration of non-military service, the multiplier is 1.00
You have completed 8 days of military service, and the service period was set at 165 days.
8 days x 2.10 = 16.80. Your non-military service will be shortened by 17 days: 347-17 = 330 days.
- Only the duration of the military service is calculated by a multiplier.
- The daily allowance is determined by the actual days of service completed (from the beginning of the conscription period), not by a multiplier.
Service time counter