Applying to non-military service
Non-military service period is 347 days. Non-military service always begins with a four-week training period. After the training period, service continues with work service. The training period must be completed before starting work service.
You can apply to non-military service:
- when your conviction or compelling reasons prevent you from performing conscript service.
- in call-up. after call-up.
- after completing more than 30 days of voluntary conscript service for women.
Your application must be done no later than the year in which you reach the age of 30.
How to apply:
Complete, print, and sign the application and send it:
- you find the application form in Omasivari to call-up board if you are applying to non-military service in call-up, or
- to regional office if you have already been in call-up and you have not yet started service, or
- to the platoon commander if you are at conscript service or
- to the Finnish embassy or consulate if you live abroad.
The process of your application:
- We will not be able to process your information until you have been in the call-up.
- Your regional office will process your application and decide on your non-military service obligations.
- The decision of your transfer will be sent to you and to Non-military Service Centre.
- Your information will be transferred to non-military service register.
Once you have been accepted into non-military service, you can select the appropriate training period through Omasivari.
If necessary, you can request a deferral.
The obligation to perform non-military service is valid until the end of the year in which you reach age of 30. Once you have completed non-military service, you will be in the reserve until the end of the year in which you turn 50.
From conscription to non-military service:
If you apply to non-military service while you are still in military service, you will be discharged immediately.
- Your application is submitted from the garrison to the regional office for processing.
- Your service information will be provided to Non-military Service Centre once regional office has decided on your non-military service obligation.
- In some cases, it may take several weeks for the information to be transferred to Non-military Service Centre.
- You can log into Omasivari when your information can be found in non-military service register.
- You log into Omasivari with your own online banking ID.
• You can make a training batch request in Omasivari if you have been placed in serviceability class A or B.
• If you are in E or C serviceability class, you cannot make a batch request until you have submitted a medical statement about your serviceability to Non-military Service Centre.
Military service which you have completed before you are transferred into non-military service will be credited using multipliers.
- If the duration of the military service was set at 165 days, the multiplier is 2,10.
- If the duration of the military service was set at 255 days, the multiplier is 1,36.
- If the duration of the military service was set at 347 days, which is the same as duration of non-military service, the multiplier is 1,00.
You have completed 8 days of military service, and the service period was set to165 days.
8 days x 2,10 = 16,80. Your non-military service will be shortened by 17 days: 347-17 = 330 days.
Duration of the military service is calculated by a multiplier. Daily allowance is determined by the actual days of service completed (from the beginning of the conscription period), not by a multiplier.
General information about non-military service
Regional Offices of Defence Forces (puolustusvoimat.fi)
Service time counter (in Finnish)
Enlistment application if you can’t use Finnish electronic identification (pdf)