Exemption from non-military service
Exemption based on the nationality of another state
Based on dual citizenship, you may have exemption if the following conditions are met:
- you have nationality of another state and
- your residence has been outside Finland for the last seven years.
- your family ties, studies, livelihood, or other personal matters are elsewhere than in Finland. (Civil Service Act 28 §)
Exemption in peacetime based on dual citizenship must be requested in writing from Non-military Service Centre.
Lack in your serviceability
Non-military Service Centre may give an exemption in peacetime to a non-military servant who is unfit for service in full or for a certain period. Serviceability is assessed based on the criteria of Finnish Defence Forces’ Health Inspection Guide TTO 2012.
- Exemption must be applied for in good time, preferably four weeks before the start of the service.
- You must attach to your application a doctor’s statement (B1-medical report) with diagnosis. The statement cannot be older than 3 months and your doctor must take a stance on your serviceability.
Temporary lack in your serviceability
- You may have an exemption for a limited period.
- Exemption may be granted one or more times for maximum three years at a time.
- You must submit a new B1-medical report with your diagnosis to Non-military Service Centre before the end of your temporary exemption.
- If you have been re-examined and you have never been declared fit in medical examination, you will be discharged in peacetime at the latest in the year you turn 25. Exemption is also subject to the condition that you have provided the requested medical reports or participated in the medical examinations prescribed for you.
How to apply for an exemption:
Write in to a free-form application:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your address
- what kind of deferment
- for how long time
Or fill out and print Exemption Application
Send your application with attachments:
- by secure link
- by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post: Non-military Service Centre, Latokartanontie 97, 09810 Ingermaninkylä
Non-military Service Centre will process your application as soon as possible. You also will receive information about the decision electronically via Suomi.fi messages if you use it.
If you are unsure about your ability to cope with non-military service, you can discuss your need for exemption with our curator or nurse.
Health Clinic: email@example.com
Exemption based on service executed in another state
Based on a written application, Non-military Service Centre may exempt in full or in part the performance of non-military service during peace if:
- you are a Finnish citizen, and
- you also have or have had the nationality of another state, and
- you have completed at least four months of military service in that state.
Exemption based on service executed in another state must be requested in writing from Non-military Service Centre.
Non-military Service Centre will process your application as soon as possible. You will receive a written decision in the mail.